15 April 2011

2 down, 28 to go

Today I present you with my winnings in my latest quest of 30 before 30.

#9: buy 30 lotto tickets in one day

It actually started back on my birthday weekend where I found myself in a liquor store buying a bottle of Tequila and I decided I needed to buy 3 scratch off tickets at a $1 a piece. So that little $3 investment yielded me $24 in return winnings. I quickly saw how playing the lottery was addicting. So that winning ticket sat on my kitchen counter for nearly 2.5 months until today when I realized I would be driving by that same liquor store. Not sure why I decided I needed to return to the same one, but nevertheless, I did.

I was disappointed when I realized the same scratch-offs were no longer available, but I settled for buying 30 $1 tickets of the first roll I saw--something with a leprechaun on it. I was also feeling rushed because someone was in line behind me.

So, I bought $30 worth of 30 lottery tickets, paid for it with my $24 earnings, and really spent $6. My winnings, however, equaled $15 plus 5 free new tickets ($1 value). So technically I won $20 in return! This is where math gets hazy. If I were traveling on an airplane east with these tickets and someone else was traveling on a train headed west, what is the average velocity that my tickets would make it to Dallas before the train--ah! word problems!--regardless, I consider myself a winner.

Ever onward..

2 comments:

Kris said...

So if you're driving east at 70 mph and the wind is blowing west at 70 mph, are you really moving at all or are you just sitting on the highway in your car? That's the word problem I want someone to solve! :)

greyguitar said...

I actually sat and pondered this for a while today. And I have no logical answer except that if the wind is blowing at 70mph, I'd rather not be on the road anymore!