19 July 2011

not for the faint

If you have a trouble reading a true story about animal cruelty (that has a somewhat peaceful conclusion), then stop reading now.

This morning I was running along a short segment of Ponce de Leon Ave (for those not familiar, it's a 4-lane artery near Decatur) before breaking back into the winding neighborhood streets. I hadn't intended to run on that route, nor had I run on it in a while, but at the last second today, I made a left turn instead of a right because I wanted a change in routes.

As I ran on that segment of Ponce, I encountered 2 women/runners who had stopped on the sidewalk. One was on her cell phone, the other was crouched beside a 4-ft tall trashcan that had been wheeled to the curb. They yelled at me to stop. I discovered that someone had placed a full-grown dog in a heavy duty trash bag, tied it off and threw it in the trashcan like it was a piece of useless trash. All we could see were its paws stretched out through the bag. And the dog was alive.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!

I kept saying that over and over out loud.

The woman on the phone called 911 and left. It's unclear if she actually ever called and just wanted to leave the scene. This left the other woman and myself standing along the busy road at 730am with a dog in shock. We drug the trashcan up the hill into a grassy area and ripped the bag open to find a helpless mutt with a badly injured eye, blood all over its neck and face, and a limp. We tried to get the dog to not move, but she wanted to wander around into other yards, slowly. After futile attempts at knocking on many doors, we found some great neighbors who called animal control for us.

Upon returning to the dog, we discovered she had made her way to the front porch of a house--incidentally the same house of the trashcan owners. Things started to make less and less sense. We weren't able to check the collar for information, but clearly the dog knew where she was and she was at her owners. Still no one would come to the door. Around 830am the Dekalb County Animal Services and Enforcement arrived and the woman that helped me decided to leave in a hurry. The dog was put inside the truck and the officer finally got the owner to answer the door. I wrote down my witness statement as he interviewed the owner. A few minutes later, the officer came to tell me that he was calling the police because he "pretty much confessed to putting the dog in the bag and said he thought she was dead by that point" and then they started looking for evidence that the dog had been shot.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!

They didn't arrest him on the spot because they needed to see the extent of the dog's injuries first so I assume they would need more evidence. The dog was becoming restless in the truck at that point so they were off to the vet hospital. In my head, I left knowing that the dog was alive and that the man would more than likely be charged with animal cruelty soon so that helped calm the morning down a bit. I could say a lot more of what I was feeling about the whole thing and how I wanted to throw that man in the trash can for a day to see how it felt, but I'll refrain. I'm really hoping to testify in court so that guy can get the punishment he deserves. Then maybe I can yell at that $*&#%$! idiot.

1 comment:

Beside the point said...

oh my GOD! Glad you stuck around to help out a poor animal. Ugh, people are sick.